Monday 29 September 2014

I have never... seen Billy Elliot

Some weeks there seems little time for something new and amazing. And clearly sometimes I cheat and use something easy. Which is ok because next Saturday I'm going to a cocktail making evening and then attending a folk metal album launch. So comme ci comme ca.

I had never seen Billy Elliot The Musical. And Paul had never been to National Theatre live show at the cinema so that surely counts too. It was brilliant (apart from a few shonky camera shots and some dubious Newcastle accents from the adults which I can forgive because), the children were astounding. I mean the cast of Matilda was brilliant but the lead in Billy Elliott is on stage practically the entire time and never stops dancing. Ten years old he was when he got the role. I can't quite take that in.

There was a bit where he's singing to his dead mother. That didn't go well. The people next to me must have thought I was a right snivelling sap. But to be fair they did keep clapping. I'm not sure for whose benefit.

The soundtrack was a bit forgettable, but I don't suppose Elton John would be all that concerned I think that.

Right at the very end there was a finale with 27 Billy Elliots dancing on stage at once.

I came out on a high thinking tap dancing should be on my list when clearly that would be an error of judgement.




No comments:

Post a Comment