Friday 12 September 2014

I have never... cycled to work for a whole week

Earlier this year I bought a bike. The express intention was to use it to cycle to work and as a result get fit, not spend money on petrol or parking, feel the wind in my hair (when I forget my helmet) and generally to feel smug and happy.

I have ridden my bicycle to work off and on. When I can be bothered, don't have a parcel to pick up, aren't in a hurry and the weather is not inclement. Yes I am that lazy.

During those periods I have encountered horrendous tarmac, pot holes the size of space hoppers, cyclists with a death wish and car drivers who are, for want of a better word, wankers. Not all car drivers of course, but far too many of them.

But never so far have I managed to ride my bike to work and back every day for a week. Today I achieved that feat. I also did it without being knocked off by a six year old (like three weeks ago) or having altercations with other road users. Well I may have shouted a few times and shaken my helmeted head a lot but not too bad I reckon.

So there you have it. I've done something I frankly thought was impossible. Now I'm off to pen a letter to the council about the cycle lanes which end at a wire fences, pot holes, parking violations over cycle paths and dangerous junctions. Which will achieve precisely nothing but you've got to try right?

In short, yay me.

1 comment:

  1. Keep going! I've always said cycling is the way forward ….

    ReplyDelete