Monday 12 May 2014

The seed of an idea...

It's time to set myself a challenge. I decided this as I considered the patch of plaster on my ceiling that after six years still needs painting.

Because when you are nearly forty, patches of ceiling become bigger and less painted, for want of a better life metaphor.  I mean it needs doing and it irritates me daily, like most of the other pretty dull things a grown up has to contend with. But I don't expect when I've done it I will feel a great sense of achievement. And while I'm at it shall I beat myself up for not having painted it earlier? Because that's what this 38 year old does.

Don't get me wrong, I have a lovely family and a lovely life. Lots of things in it are wonderful. But the routine scares me. Let's be honest it terrifies me. I need to step outside my norm and shake some stuff up.

I am, for want of a better word, dull. I'm 38 and I am more boring than I have ever been. (This is where those of you who know me leap to my defence...well go on then...)

So back to the challenge.

I know what you are thinking. "Oh great it's one of those midlife crisis blogs where she sets off to rediscover herself". A bucket list, 100happydays, a painful copy of the "Yes Man" (the book not that awful film with Jim Carrey in it) or maybe she's about to buy a boat and sail around Ireland in it. Another silly challenge to cheer up her grumpy middle-aged existence and make her realise that life can be a thrilling experience again, forty is the new twenty and you are only as young as you feel. Well you are not far wrong.

This is my idea. It is probably already being done all over the world with a snazzy hashtag of some sort and a forum to provide support. Let it be known that if it is, I didn't realise, sorry. But mine will be different because mine is, well, mine.

Drum roll........

I am going to do something I have never done before. Every week for a year. 

Wow sounds exciting doesn't it? Ok well give me time and it might at least be a giggle.

Some of these things will, to some of you, seem ridiculous. "Surely there isn't anyone in the world who hasn't done that" you will cry, or at least mutter.

Then there hopefully will be different stuff. It isn't about jumping out of aeroplanes though - let me get that out there from the start. My pelvic floor may be better but that would be a bridge too far.

How can you help I hear you shout encouragingly? You are very welcome to suggest things to give me some ideas, but I'd avoid suggesting anything dangerous to start with. Or anything that involves coordination. Or fitness.

It is about tentatively stepping over the edge of the box. I'll be doing so mostly in Sheffield, so the blog will be splattered with entries about things in our lovely city and around it. But who knows where it might go.

That's it for now. I'm off to think up some ideas and not to paint the flipping ceiling.


No comments:

Post a Comment