Sunday 13 July 2014

I have never... had body confidence

When I suggested going to a body confidence workshop with a Burlesque dancer I was rather surprised by the uptake amongst my friends. Which is a bonus because otherwise I would have had to go on my own.


We were asked to bring a favourite item of clothing and some comfortable heels. Which is clearly an oxymoron.

There was a bit of sharing about our insecurities. We also got to share in Violet Blaze's bosoms in all their glory. Suddenly I had a new insecurity about the size of my breasts.

So we shared. We ate chocolate. Some of the ladies got dressed up and changed shoes. I secretly wished I had brought an exciting girly top then realised I couldn't have done since Idon't own one. I strapped on my pair of heels, although I'd lost a bit and secured one of them with a loom band. Fortunately Violet's favourite shoes were secured with sellotape so I didn't feel quite so bad, but hers were a lot more sparkly than mine.

We did a lot of laughing, some dancing, some singing, some strutting and some pouting. And then I took my first ever selfie and didn't really know what I was doing. I was trumped by my friend who didn't know how to take one at all and hadn't realised that her phone didn't have a two direction camera.

Several of the lovely ladies in the group were due to do their first Burlesque performances imminently. It was at this point I realised that there is a limit to what I'll be prepared to try for the first time. There is no way on earth I'd ever be brave enough to do that.

Later I was asked if I felt any differently, in a body confidence sort of a way. well no. But I do sometimes remember to walk with my back straight and my chest (what there is of it) more forwards. Because Violet Blaze would have wanted me to. I think it's unlikely that I'll get much use out of my purple body confidence sash though but you never know.

The best thing about all of it was the joy of spending the afternoon with friends who had never met each other and yet who all had great fun larking about. That and the promise of cocktails, pizza and an evening burlesque show to follow. I love this trying new things malarky.

No comments:

Post a Comment