Wednesday 30 July 2014

I have never... been waxed

Now before you get excited it was only my eyebrows.

My children were away with their marvellous grandparents and I had a bit of a time and a spa voucher that was miraculously still in date. As I was going to a wedding at the weekend I treated myself and booked a pedicure and, well, whatever else added up to the right amount. Eyebrows it was then.

You may remember from my other blog that I once had my eyebrows plucked. I'm still trying to forget it.

Waxing was less terrible I guess. Certainly not as terrible as the images I was left with when the beautician finished talking about all the hairy men she has helped to become shiny. Shudder.

Apparently I did well considering it was the first time I'd had it done. Which made me wonder how other people react. Surely it wasn't appropriate to scream and call for your mum in these circumstances?

It was warm, then like having a plaster pulled off quickly. Not that I can be accurate about that because I've never applied plasters to my eyebrows before. It was definitely a bit...ouchy. It was also over quite quickly and the fastest £12 I ever spent even if it was with a spa voucher.

Between treatments I sat in the relaxation room but I didn't find it very relaxing. It was creepily dark. There was floating ethereal music on just a bit too loud. I got a coffee and then by the light of my IPhone read a sign indicating that it should have cost £1.50. I didn't pay. I sat in the dark feeling guilty trying not to scratch my eyebrows. Two women came in and simultaneously their beauticians sold them expensive skin specific treatments slightly too loud so as to be heard over the ethereal music. I'm sure I'm not really supposed to know that one of them had oily skin. I resisted the urge to tell them to pop into John Lewis and get a free arm massage.

I went back in the room after my pedicure - this time on my own which was even weirder. I decided I'd had enough and tried to leave. I went through a few doors, up and down in a lift, found the swimming pool and some sweaty fit people. I tried to look like I'd meant to go in the gym and convinced no-one. Eventually I found my way to freedom and breathed a sigh of relief. I had red toenails and beautiful smooth eyebrows. It was all worth it.

Of course no-one could tell I'd had my eyebrows waxed. That is until my skin decided it needed to retaliate and gave me spots. I'm fairly confident I've never had spots on my eyebrows before either.


No comments:

Post a Comment