Sunday 18 May 2014

I have never... watched an insect circus

I'm starting with an easy one but it's just timing. I'm not copping out and ignoring all the physical activities I promise.

Ok so I've never been to a circus I enjoyed. And I've definitely never been to one where every act involved an acrobat dressed as an insect. Who knew that was a thing? Well it is. The Insect Circus.

It was a pre-birthday surprise for my youngest to go to the circus yesterday. The stunning vintage style big top was pretty exciting, although I did get decidedly worried when three human sized flies starting buzzing around the audience and waving their bottoms in our general direction. Audience participation is most definitely not my daughter's thing. She demanded to sit on Paul's knee and I wondered if it was going to be a very long afternoon.

The wasp taming act was equally disconcerting for her. It astonishes me why she cannot suspend disbelief when faced with a woman dressed as a lion tamer hitting a box to encourage human dressed as wasps to stand on one leg, but bless her she just can't. I wonder now whether she genuinely believed they had stung their human counterpart.

But following all that anxiety everything got better. They both adored it. I was thrilled that they could see first hand amazing people (women in particular) doing staggering things. Aerial acrobatics, tight rope walking, hula hooping, gymnastics and very entertaining hat juggling - what more could you ask for?

Well I could ask for more comfortable seats but you can't have everything.

There were even some fabulous puppets - the worm charmer was one of my favourite acts and who wouldn't want to see a ten foot high snail.

We came out into the sunshine and went into the Insect Circus museum - a small wooden trailer showing the creative back story of the circus. So much attention to detail really made me smile with artefacts from the Insect Circus stretching back years along with little animated scenes. Bonkers.

The girls came out and went on a few old fashioned (and some more modern) fair ground rides and had a whale of a time. I tried not to consider the impact on my wallet and have a day for once where we said yes to oversized lollies and swing chairs. It was a truly lovely day.


The Insect Circus is doing short sections throughout the May Day event today, Sunday 18th May, so I'd encourage you to go if you get the chance. Especially if you like tightrope walking bees.



No comments:

Post a Comment